Welcome to my site!

I am currently taking a children's literature class that has exposed me to a lot of amazing books. Here is what I think about a few but please let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions for books that I should have in my classroom let me know!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by: Sherman Alexie

I absolutely loved reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian! I thought the book was very funny and I really liked the small illustrations throughout the book. This book would be great for a classroom to show culture differences. It told readers to never be ashamed of your heritage but also not be afraid to reach out and become something that you want to be. I really think it is important to give students the taste of many different cultures and this one was great to show what reservation life for Native Americans is like. Junior, the main character, was very humorous and was determined to fit in and overcome many problems that arose in his life. After deciding to not attend school on the rez, Junior had to try and fit into an all white school. Of course he knew this was going to be very difficult but he knew what was best for him and that he would benefit more at the school in town. I think Junior did not know it, but really is such a strong character. I loved when he succeed in basketball and beat the rez team! During that scene, I really felt like I was there cheering him on! Overall, it was a really great book that I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment