Welcome to my site!

I am currently taking a children's literature class that has exposed me to a lot of amazing books. Here is what I think about a few but please let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions for books that I should have in my classroom let me know!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Yellow Star by: Jennifer Roy

I have to admit that this book was very hard for me because this past summer I took a Holocaust immersion to Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic. During this trip, I visited several concentration and work camps along with many ghettos that were once settled by Jews. After this trip, I have had a hard time reading or even watching movies from that era. Because of this it was very hard for me to even start this book. However, I do think the book was very good and well written for the attended audience. Even though it was hard for me to read, I still very much respect the story and think that it is excellent that Sylvia's story was able to be captured. I have to admit that I read the book in two hours and wanted to continue to read to find out what happened to the family. I really enjoyed this true stories' ending when the family finds out that the Star of David is ironically the thing that actually saves them. I also love how 10-year-old Sylvia is praised so much for saving the family. This story needed to be told and it is really neat that the author's note explains what happens to the main characters after the story is over. Yellow Star is a great resource for students of upper elementary to read and help better understand the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment