Welcome to my site!

I am currently taking a children's literature class that has exposed me to a lot of amazing books. Here is what I think about a few but please let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions for books that I should have in my classroom let me know!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom by: Carole Boston Weatherford, Illustrated by: Kadir Nelson

Right off the bat, readers will fall in love with this book because of its amazing illustrations. I believe Kadir Nelson's pictures display such a powerful and strong support to the text. The text itself is very interesting because it is somewhat lyrical and readers feel as if God is really speaking in the book. I like the way the text is depicted in the book and how the words of God are bigger and sometimes do not follow a straight line. They stand out to show how important his words were to Harriet. You get the sense that this is the only thing that really is keeping her going...faith. I really like this book and think it explains Harriet Tubman's spiritual journey towards freedom very well to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment