Welcome to my site!

I am currently taking a children's literature class that has exposed me to a lot of amazing books. Here is what I think about a few but please let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions for books that I should have in my classroom let me know!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Coming on Home Soon by: Jacqueline Woodson

A beautifully illustrated book, Coming on Home Soon is an excellent picture book for younger readers. The book explains the hardships that African-Americans faced during World War II in Chicago especially obtaining jobs and receiving a steady income. Main character Ada Ruth is also struggling with the separation from her mother and longs for the day that she returns. The book itself is great to use with students to explain certain parts of that history and even to show examples of letter writing. I really liked this story line and think all students would enjoy the book and illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment