Welcome to my site!

I am currently taking a children's literature class that has exposed me to a lot of amazing books. Here is what I think about a few but please let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions for books that I should have in my classroom let me know!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mrs. Katz and Tush by: Partricia Polacco

Mrs. Katz and Tush is a great story that brings people's differences together. I love the way the author brings the Jewish and African-American cultures together by having the two main characters sharing their stories and lives. In the book, an older Jewish woman, Mrs. Katz, is visited everyday by a young African-American boy named Larnel. The boy gives the women a cat because she is lonely from the loss of her husband on one condition, and that is that he helps take care of it and visits her everyday. He agrees and fortunately learns so much about Mrs. Katz and her Jewish heritage. Throughout the book both the characters learn that their cultures suffered in many of the same ways. I think this book is very good for children to examine their similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment